Hair loss is a common problem that affects both men and women. It not only alters their physical appearance, but also leads to emotional stress. For many, hair loss is the biggest problem that they have ever faced. The fact that 9 out of 10 men cite hair loss as a top concern, cements the fact that hair loss is not a thing that people take lightly.
If you too want to leave no stones unturned and tackle hair loss before it gets out of hand, here are some tips that will come to your rescue.
- 1. Know what is the root cause – There can be several reasons behind hair fall and hair loss. Before you work on the problem, find out what is causing hair fall and leading to hair loss in your case. Without knowing the root cause, you’ll only end up trying remedies that aren’t as effective or aggravate the problem further. The best way to know the cause is to consult a trichologist and get him/her to diagnose the problem thoroughly. Once you find out the cause, you can work on it before it is too late.
- 2. Keep the scalp clean – Bacterial and fungal infections of the scalp can lead to a number of diseases such as psoriasis, which can lead to hair loss. Make it a point to keep your scalp clean to get rid of product buildup. At the same time, make sure that all the combs, brushes and all other hair accessories that you use are cleaned regularly. This applies to hair styling tools such as curling wands and hair straighteners.
- 3. Be gentle on wet hair – Wet hair is prone to breakage and this is why, you need to be extra careful with it.
To begin with, let your hair dry completely before running a brush or a comb through it. If at all you need to brush the hair while it is still wet, make sure that you use a wide-toothed detangling brush.
The next tip is to let your hair air dry if possible. This is because the use of excessive heat to dry it such as using a blow dryer, may result in the damage of the hair follicles. Also, don’t use a towel to vigorously rub your hair dry. Instead, gently pat it dry with a towel or replace it with a cotton t-shirt. These steps are bound to keep your hair healthy!
- 4. Avoid products with sulphates – Sulphates are commonly found ingredients in many cosmetic products, including the shampoo and conditioner you may be using on a daily basis. This is the reason why a lot of people are vouching for the no-poo method (washing hair with alternatives to a shampoo). Sulphate-free shampoos will not form much lather like traditional shampoos, but they will definitely keep your hair healthy and strong. In the long run, this also prevents hair fall and loss. Hence, say no to sulphates and buy products that don’t contain these chemicals.
- 5. Say no to inferior quality products – Using bad hair products such as shampoos, conditioners, serums, hair sprays, hair gels etc. can also lead to hair loss. Say no to cheap, inferior quality hair products and invest in the best products that have been clinically proven to be beneficial for your hair. Even when you are using hair styling tools of inferior quality, they end up doing more damage to your hair than good. The best alternative in this case would be to get the best tools, recommended by experts.
- 6. Increase protein intake – It is a known fact that proteins aid hair growth. Therefore, increasing your intake of protein will definitely prove to be beneficial for your hair. As opposed to medications and other treatments for hair loss, this is going to take time. But it will definitely help all other treatments speed up. So, make sure that you include lots of protein-rich food in your diet. Meat, poultry, eggs, legumes, dark, green leafy vegetables, whole grains and nuts are the best sources of proteins.
- 7. Don’t stress – Believe it or not, emotional stress can also be one of the leading causes of hair fall and hair loss. Sometimes, stress leads to excessive hair fall temporarily as hair enters its resting phase (Telogen Effluvium). But instead of waiting for the hair to enter the resting phase and then to get out of it, try to avoid the root cause in the first place.
Start working your way out of stress by doing whatever it takes. For instance, take up a new hobby, engage in physical activities, get more sleep, eat a balanced diet and find ways to lead a positive life.
These are some of the best and most importantly, essential tips to combat hair loss. Do you have more tips that we can add to the list? Feel free to share your opinion via comments.