Hair loss is often associated with old age, which is a false notion. Both men and women can experience hair fall or hair loss any time in their life, irrespective of their age. It can be triggered by – genetics, chronic illnesses, sudden weight loss, improper diet, hormonal imbalance, autoimmune diseases, rough handling, effluviums, using the wrong products and so on and so forth.
Although there are a number of hair fall and hair loss treatments available, most of them are hardly effective. Say, for instance, home remedies are said to be effective hair fall and hair loss treatments, but give only temporary relief. The same can be said for several other treatments and medications that are available as over-the-counter products. This is when people turn to cosmetic hair growth treatments, hoping for a more permanent solution that restores their hair. One of the popular cosmetic hair restoration surgery is Hair Transplant Surgery.
What exactly is a hair transplant surgery?
Like all cosmetic hair regrowth treatments, hair transplant surgery takes into consideration – patients’ age, hair characteristics, medical history, the degree of hair loss etc.
Hair transplant lasts a lifetime and works best for people whose hair loss is not very severe. They are ideal candidates for the surgery as they have sufficient number of donor hair graft sites, which can be used for transplant. It is particularly useful for people who suffer from hair loss at a young age.
During a hair transplant surgery, the surgeon removes a small section of the scalp that still has hair growing on it. This section of the scalp is then divided into small sections with a lot of precision and implanted on to other parts of the scalp. These grafted portions then lead to natural hair regrowth. The treatment occurs in sessions and the number of the sessions depend on the patients’ medical history and some other factors. In each session, the surgeon may transplant as many as 100-1000 of hair!
BENEFITS OF HAIR TRANSPLANT SURGERY
In some cases, the patients end up looking better than what they used to look earlier. Another benefit of the surgery is that natural hair is grafted on the scalp and gives a dramatic result. Usually, this treatment is opted by professionals from the entertainment industry such as actors, talk-show hosts, models etc.
Easier said than done, there are certain side effects of getting these surgeries. Let’s take a look at some of them:
SIDE-EFFECTS OF HAIR TRANSPLANT SURGERY
- Experts warn against hair transplant surgery for men who are in their 20’s.
- Hair transplant surgery can be very expensive. The cost of the surgery may vary from patient to patient.
- Hair transplant surgery may not be the answer to baldness. People who have lost all of their hair completely, have little chances of hair regrowth with this treatment.
- The hair may regrow as odd-looking tufts.
- Each hair transplant session can be 3-4 hours long and may even extend beyond that.
- Each session may be months apart, which makes the entire process a long and tedious process that takes up a lot of time.
- There will be stitches on the scalp, which may take up to 10 days to heal. This is why, soon after the surgery, you’ll have bandages covering your scalp.
- The scalp may become sore after surgery, which can be alleviated with painkillers, anti-inflammatory and antibiotics.
- There can be chances of the graft not being accepted on the site. This leads to the repetition of the surgery and increases the timeframe.
- The transplanted hair will continue falling out after 2-3 weeks from the date of the procedure. It is only after 6-9 months after the transplant that visible hair growth takes place on the scalp. Even shock loss, where the hair starts shedding due to a major surgery, can occur after a hair transplant.
- Bleeding may occur after the transplant surgery. Apart from this, there are also chances of crust formation on the donor sites as well as the sites where the hair was transplanted.
- There are always chances of a scalp infection after the procedure or folliculitis.
- Some patients may even experience bruising near their eyes.
- The scalp may swell up abnormally.
- There can be a numbness or lack of sensation on the treated areas along.
- The scalp may itch a lot.
These are some of the common side-effects that are a part and parcel of cosmetic hair regrowth surgeries like a hair transplant surgery. To avoid major complications, it is consult a hair transplant expert, who has a proven track-record. But instead of risking it all, how about opting for a non-surgical, but clinically-proven hair regrowth alternative that takes less time to give you the best results? Do give it a try and share your experience with us!